Monday, April 16, 2012
Before Paige, I was the RC Willey Girl
In 8th grade my siblings and I went to our talent agent's office for an audition. I am pretty sure all of my siblings older than I went. I was getting so sick of these auditions, because we would always drive up to salt lake, feel super awkward having to read a script in front of a bunch of adults and then never hear back from them. My older siblings had all been in various films, and I had played a small part in a seminary film when I was 10ish, but I felt discouraged about all the auditions I had to go through without ever getting a part.
So here we were again. They had me sit by a boy on two hard, plastic chairs pretending it was a couch and cuddle up next to him. That's it. Then my brothers did some things and they looked at us all together with some other kids and then we left.
Surprisingly they called my mom a few days later and told her that I had been cast in a commercial! None of my siblings were asked to be in it (which I thought was weird because the whole point of the commercial was to film a family in their home). So I showed up that day and met my counterpart (a cute "older" blonde boy of about 14) whom I would be cuddling with on an RC Willey couch. On camera. Let me tell you, I know many of my peers at that age were used to this kind of thing but I had never cuddled with a boy in my life! This was all new and awkward to have a whole crew of people watching us not to mention a bunch of cameras. Oh yeah, and my mom!
I swear we took about a hundred shots during a long day and then I was told I could go home. They gave me what I thought was a fat paycheck and off I went.
Months later I heard people whispering in the halls and in my classes "is that her? . . .you ask her. No! You ask her!" Unsure what it was about in my insecure Jr. High self I got a little worried until someone finally asked me "Are you the RC Willey girl?" I shyly answered yes. And from then on I was known as "The RC Willey Girl." This lasted for the duration of the commercial (probably not more than 6 months) and then it was all but forgotten, even by me. Turns out watching yourself come on TV for a whole 1.5 seconds is not all that great. It's kind of awkward.
But hey, I caught somebody's eye (and perhaps heart) with that commercial. That happens to be the year I met The Hub in English class. He was definitely one of those whispering, "No way! You ask her!"
Labels:
Memory Mondays
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm loving these Memory Mondays...
ReplyDeleteHa I love this!
ReplyDeleteHahaha I totally remember you telling me all about this experience when it happened. And how you got to cuddle with this cute older boy.
ReplyDelete