Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Guatemala Trip: Roatan Paradise

After our work in Guatemala we headed to Antigua (which is the tourist town of Guatemala) for a little shopping in the markets and some site seeing.

There are a bunch of active volcanoes in Guatemala (as seen behind us in this picture, although they are kind of covered by the clouds):
We went to a really neat place for lunch where we were served a traditional Guatemalan meal and entertained by native music and dancing. 

Late that afternoon we headed to the airport where we boarded a chartered flight to the Island of Roatan. We got to walk down the stairs from the plane straight onto the tarmac just like in the movies. Those stairs were steep! And I kept thinking to myself as I am struggling not to trip "Why isn't Pete offering to help with the suitcase?" since he normally would notice me struggling and offer, like a gentleman, to help. I was slightly perturbed when once we got down the stairs he leaned over and whispered to me, ever so proud of himself, "I totally did the Richard Nixon thing." 
I didn't quite appreciate the whole experience until I got this picture from Pete's Uncle who snapped all the emotion of that moment so perfectly. 
We took a long and bumpy road to finally reach our hotel on the beach. I put this picture (above) as my desktop background on my computer and every time I see it I start singing this song.

While in Roatan we got to do a whole bunch of fun things like snorkeling and scuba diving. We also did a lot of this:
(Pete playing SUPER competitive water football with the men in our group)

And this:

(Pete's dad and uncle were a little lonely without their spouses during our walks on the beach at sunset) haha

One night the Sundwall crew (Pete, his dad, his uncle and I) ate in this little hut at sunset:

I just had some pesto pasta which was good, but the guys all had lobster and shrimp and were in heaven. 
The next day we ate at a dumpy little restaurant that let parrots walk around and yell in your ear and eat from your plate. But we ate Baleadas there and boy were they delicious!!



I have decided that it is now my life-long goal to someday make it back to the beautiful Island of Roatan and enjoy the beautiful clear ocean and the hot hot weather!

We loved every minute of our whole Guatemala Trip and would do it again in a second. Pete and I said before we left Guatemala that we could have gone home completely happy if we left right after our work at the clinic, but the 2-day stay in Roatan was just the icing on the cake! We feel so grateful that we were able to go on this trip. What a neat and memorable experience it was that we will always remember.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you got to experience this trip! Sounds like it was amazing and rewarding. And Peter made me laugh out loud with his Richard Nixon impersonation. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Amy! I love all your comments on the blog! Thanks. We can't wait to see you this summer when we come in July! Love you

    ReplyDelete