Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Little (Huge) Miracle

Yesterday while I was at work I got in my car to drive somewhere. I flung my purse over to the passenger seat and realized that my left ring finger was abnormally light. I looked down and realized I only had my engagement ring on, not the wedding band.

I freaked out a little and then calmed myself down by rationalizing that I must have not put it on that day. So I went about my day at work, anxious to get home.

When I picked up Pete from school to go home I showed him my finger and he asked where it was. I said that I hoped it was at home. The minute I walked in the door I went back to the bathroom where I always take off my rings at night. It was no where to be found. Pete and I scoured the house for about a half hour. I realized quickly that I was not going to find it without a little help and since I have been teaching my primary class about prayer at church I thought I should follow my own advice and ask Heavenly Father to help me find it. I knew it was the only way I would be able to.

I cooked dinner and Pete said a prayer again that we would find it. He told me he felt an overwhelmingly strong feeling that we would find it and I tried to be hopeful. Pete left to teach baseball lessons and I took a flashlight and again went around the entire house and car looking in every corner and every crevice. I even went through the garbage and the sink disposal but found nothing. I felt so sick.

I was ok as long as I was distracted but after I did some grocery shopping and was driving home in the quiet car it hit me that it was probably gone. I started to cry and pray really hard that we would be able to find this sentimental and special ring Pete had gave me on our wedding day. I realize that there are so many other more important things that people pray for and this was something small in the grand scheme of things. But it meant a lot to me and made me really sad to think it was gone.

This morning, still sad, Pete drove me to work. I told him I was going to get right out of the car and do a hopeless sweep of the parking lot where I had parked and then walked to mail some letters yesterday morning. Pete pulled into the parking stall next to the stall I parked in yesterday and I got out of the car. Pete got out to help me for a minute before he had to leave for school.

Right there in the business complex parking lot on the soaking wet asphalt was my wedding band. I could not believe it and I still can't figure out how or why it fell off--just the band without the rest of the ring is so strange.

The likelihood of it still there, untouched and unharmed after all the cars that could have parked in that stall, after all the people that could have walked by, after all the stormy wind and weather yesterday, it was still there, in that stall. Nothing short of a miracle. It was my little (huge) miracle and I could not be more grateful, that the Lord answered my prayer.


2 comments:

  1. That gave me goosebumps! I completely believe, big or small, the Lord wants to bless us and whatever is IMPORTANT to us is SO important to him! Thanks for this reminder! love you Ann!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The power of prayer is very strong! You can never give up hope and I'm glad you were able to find it. Love you,

    ReplyDelete