Last Halloween was mine and Pete's first Halloween together--or married, I should say. So I wanted to do all the fun things like carve pumpkins and dress up. Next year we will have a baby and it will be her first Halloween, so I am sure things will be more exciting then. But this year we were busy with work and school and I just didn't have the motivation to make much of a special effort to do anything celebratory.
I know Pete loves the way his mom has always made Halloween special in their home--she always made pigs in a blanket and they have fun stuff going on. So I asked Pete if he wanted to go over to his parents' house on Halloween, but he didn't feel like he could take the time away from his responsibilities that night, so I tried to make things a little special at our house.
I went to the store and got stuff to make "mummy dogs" and then I bought candy for the trick-or-treaters who would come by.
When Pete got home and we started eating dinner, he had no idea that I was trying to make things like his mom had growing up. He didn't even realize that I had made mummy dogs! He asked if he could cut them in half because he wanted them small like his mom had always done them! FAIL! I guess I should have called his mom to determine what exactly she made on Halloween--Silly me for thinking pigs in a blanket and mummy dogs were the same...?
Anyway, after I explained to Pete that I was making a special effort to make it like his mom had growing up, he was appreciative at my effort. And I guess that is all that counts. Oh the joys of marriage. :)
After we ate dinner, Pete went to his "study room" for the night and I sat on the couch and opened the door for the 10 trick-or-treaters who came by. Not the most exciting day, but I didn't really feel all that bad about it.
For dance this year (see last year's post here) I had to do the dreaded dressing up. I wanted a costume that would not involve much time in creating it and that would not have to be explained a hundred times to every child that walked in the door.
Here is what I came up with. Not the most creative but the girls never had to ask what I was and they thought it was funny that my little baby had a Jack-O-Lantern face. Success!
I think your mummy dogs are cute! Try them with Lil' Smokies sometime instead of hotdogs.
ReplyDeleteYou got more trick or treaters in one night than we've had in 18 years!
Miss you,
Ha! I like your mummies and your cute jack-o-lantern :)
ReplyDelete