Peter was in an accident a few weeks ago. He called me a little while after he had left for work and said he was hit but that he was ok. He said he would call me in a bit since he wasn't sure he would be able to drive his car and he would need a ride. That is all I knew. I was so grateful that he was alright! Thinking it could have been so much worse really put things into perspective for me!
Before I heard back from Pete a neighbor called and said she had just driven passed the accident and wanted to make sure things were ok. I said I knew Pete wasn't hurt but that I didn't know how bad the accident was and she told me it was bad. It took a couple of hours for the police to write it all up since their were 5 cars hit all because of one guy who ran a red light. Pete was pretty sore for about a week after and they towed his car away. Later we found out it was indeed totaled and we found out how much we would be getting for it. It was higher than we expected so that was a blessing!
RIP Nathaniel. (That's the car, nobody died in this accident)
Pete got a rental car for about a week while all the insurance business was figured out. And then we had to make do with one car for a little bit. We had scheduled our lives around having two cars and so this put us in a bit of a pickle more than once. But we survived.
We decided to replace the car with the money that would be coming from the insurance company and then spend a little of our own savings so that we wouldn't be buying a car that wouldn't last long or be in good shape. We shopped for a couple of days and got sick of it real fast. So when we found a good car on KSL, we jumped on it and bought it right after driving it. It felt very spur-of-the-moment but we both felt good about it and were so tired of looking and going to dealerships! As we were signing the paperwork I kept thinking "shouldn't we have an adult here or something to make sure we aren't making any huge mistakes?!" And then I would look down and see Afton and remember "oh yeah, we are the adults!" It's a weird feeling.
So we did it. Pete and I bought our first car together--after nearly 2 1/2 years of marriage. I think that might be the biggest purchase we have made thus far. Although, I guess if you figure how much actually came out-of-pocket once the claim was settled then it would be only our second biggest purchase (the first being our humanitarian trip to Guatemala we went on exactly one year ago!)
And so without further adieu, the newest member of our family (who has yet to be named...I will talk to Pete about that):
It's a 2004 Honda Civic with low miles. Yay!
And just for fun...
She is still or favorite newest member :)
Nice looking car! But I tell you, that baby, she is adorable!! Love you all,
ReplyDelete