Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Bring on the Change

I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish with Afton before this baby arrives and slowly most of them have still not been done. But although Afton was still sleeping fine in her crib (without any complaints or any desire to get out) we decided to move her to a big girl bed anyway and move things around in her room so that we could fit Baby Brother's crib in her room. She transitioned pretty much without any hiccups. The first day or two she would still wait in her bed for us to get her when she woke up. But then she figured out she could get out and did so one night after we put her down. All it took was one stern look from me and she started to tear up. I told her it was OK but that she needed to stay in her bed. Since then she has stayed in her bed after we put her down and just comes out to find us when she gets up. She is such a good girl.
The night we set it up she couldn't stop squealing "big kid bed!"

Although I don't really notice because I am with her all the time, others have pointed out how much more she is talking. She really does talk all day long and it's not just mindless gabbing. She has a lot to say and is sure to make certain that you understand. My favorite times are in the car when we just chat for the whole ride. 
My errand buddy.
Laundry buddy (and the baby bump at 33 weeks)
Peter commented one day how she is just a little buddy and friend. I really do feel that way since we can talk about anything and she understands--it's slightly scary at times. She picks up on phrases and words we say and repeats them often. Some examples:
-She looked out the window the other day and said "hmmm, suspicious." I was totally confused until I remembered that a couple days earlier I had heard a weird sound at the window and after unsuccessfully finding the reason for the sound I must have said "suspicious." 
-She has started saying "no, had enough" when I say something about eating more dinner or lunch. It made me realize that I often ask if she has had enough.
-My favorite thing she says that she must have picked up on from me (I'm guessing) is "oh my gosh, oh my cute!" when we are shopping or after she puts on some clothing items. I need to capture it on video because the inflection in her voice is priceless. I really don't know if I say that but she had to have learned it somewhere!
-She often says "bless you" after she hears someone sneeze or after she sneezes herself.

She has spontaneously started saying that she loves Peter or I and also frequently hugs her dolls and says "I love her." She carries her baby doll around everyone and is a great mommy to her. I can't wait to see how she is with her baby brother!

Afton recently started saying "yes" instead of "yeah." I guess I never took much thought to her saying "yeah" but to hear her state "yes" in response to a question just feel so proper.

Afton is very aware of things and super observant. When I mention having Baby Brother she will say "Dr. Yamashiro" (my OB) and talk about the hospital since she went on a tour with me to see the facilities. That's just one example of the many things she picks up on. It's kind of scary how much she understands and comprehends but we are so grateful and proud of her!
One day Afton pulled some scriptures out of Peter's bedside drawer and laid back on the bed to "read scriptures, like daddy"
Apparently she noticed other kids at the store like this because she threw a fit until I let her ride like that and then kept saying "like a big kid!"
Who doesn't love pizza at grandma's?
We took Afton to a Jazz game for family night and ever since she talks about the "funny bear" (the Jazz mascot) and the loud buzzer anytime we mention basketball. She most enjoyed when dad got her popcorn and an ice cream cone after the game.

She loves olives as long as she can put them on her fingers!
Playing in the car is a new favorite thing of Afton's. She is 
just getting too big!
Afton's Sundwall uncles call her hair "hobbit hair" and I think that is the perfect depiction.

We love this little girl and while we can't wait to have a new addition to the family it is sad to think our lives revolving around her have somewhat come to an end. We know she will be a great big sister and love everything about the little person she is becoming!

1 comment:

  1. Big girl bed, and a big mommy belly to lean on. You are truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete