And so without further adieu, a (really long) recap:
I had REALLY wanted to go into labor on my own since I was wanting to give birth naturally, without medication. However, days came and went and despite my best efforts she was not coming. I had a doctor's appointment on February 12th and I had determined that I would ask my doctor to strip my membranes if he thought it would help. That day he said I was dilated to a 3+ and that he could feel Afton's head low down. After stripping my membranes he kept hinting that he was fairly certain he would see me within the next 24 hours if not that night. We also discussed induction plans for later that week because he was leaving town on Sunday and Pete's parents were leaving the country on Saturday. We had hoped to be induced on Friday, if it came to that, because then my in-laws could be there. However, the hospital was already booked and would not allow any more inductions that day. He said we could try for Thursday, Valentine's Day, but that he would not be there to deliver. Plus, I didn't want to go any earlier than I had to because I wanted to be given every opportunity to start on my own.
I went back in the next morning (Wednesday) having had no action at all. He stripped my membranes again and boy did that hurt! Remind me never to do that again because getting it done a second time less than 24 hours after the first was not worth the pain! The doctor was very hopeful and kept indicating that he expected to see me very soon. I kept going on as normal waiting for the moment when labor would begin. I did everything I could to try and induce labor and nothing was working. Finally, I started to believe this baby would never come and that I should just prepare to be induced. I scheduled an induction with the hospital for Saturday but was informed that they were pretty full and would call me on Friday to let me know if there would be room.
I heard nothing from the hospital on Friday so at 5:00 I called the doctor's office and asked what the deal was. They said I should plan to be induced the following day but that the time would depend on when there was a room available. I was informed that I should expect to hear from them between 6:00 a.m. and noon. So Pete and I awoke with anticipation that day and waited and waited. Nothing. So at noon I called the hospital who said they had a very busy night but expected to have a room available in a couple of hours and they would call to let me know when. Pete and I then decided we should go out to lunch instead of waiting around. I didn't feel much like eating so Pete chose his favorite place--Pizza Pie Cafe. We returned and waited around the house some more until 5:00 rolled around and I was getting very discouraged--certain that I was never going to have this baby.
So this time Pete called the hospital and again they said "soon." He hung up the phone and we sat there staring at each other rather anxious. Then about 5 minutes later the hospital called and said I could come in at 6:00 p.m. We were so excited! Pete gave me a priesthood blessing which gave me such a feeling of peace and comfort. And then I shed a few tears looking at our apartment and realizing that when we came back we would have a baby in tow.
We checked into the hospital and began getting settled. I asked to have my water broke before they started pitocin hoping that that would induce labor. The nurse asked my doctor who said "no" so they started the lowest dose of pitocin and about a half hour later my doctor came in to break my water. Although the contractions started as soon as the pitocin did, I didn't really feel them. Once they broke my water I started to feel them but nothing too strong. Whenever anyone asked about the contractions I informed them that the IV in my arm was hurting worse. And it was!
Eventually the contractions got to a point that I didn't feel like talking during them and would just quiet down and focus on breathing through them. And then eventually they got to the point where I was really feeling them. At one point they were getting really close together and without breaks in between. Thankfully, the nurse came in after a while of this and said that Afton's heart rate was dropping. So they decided that the pitocin was too strong for her and since they had never turned it up from the lowest dose, they decided to turn it off to see if it helped. And luckily, my body continued to go on its own and regulated the contractions back to having breaks in between and that helped Afton's heart too.
During this whole experience I really had no concept of time and so how long the contractions were hurting or not hurting I couldn't say. Somewhere during this uncomfortable time the nurses decided they wanted to check and make sure the baby was head down. Although my doctor had just checked my dilation and said he felt the head, they had delivered a couple of surprise breach babies earlier that day and just wanted to be sure. I remember the contractions being worse during this part because 3 different nurses were pushing that darn ultrasound equipment around my belly during contractions and I couldn't do my regular breathing and relaxing. Finally, they went and got the on call OB (not my doctor, he was just there because he had a few patients in labor) and she checked and saw the head right away. She pointed it out to the nurses and they all left me alone after that.
Eventually I wanted a change of scene. I asked to take a bath. I got in and only lasted a few contractions in there because I couldn't get comfortable. I think at some point around here (perhaps before I got in the bath) I was told I was dilated to a 6. After the bath, I got out and decided to try the yoga ball I had brought. It was somewhat relaxing and I was still enjoying the change of scenery from lying in bed. While I was on the ball there was an enormous amount of screaming that seemed to come from a neighboring room. I remember being completely irritated by the woman screaming her lungs out because I kept thinking to myself "Hey, I know it's not the most comfortable thing but if I can feel this much pain and still control myself, why can't you!?" When our nurse came back Pete asked, "is everything alright out there?" and she informed us that a lady had arrived dilated to a 10 and was pretty much giving birth in the lobby. Hence the screaming.
I was beginning to feel an urge to push about this time near the end of every other contraction and so I voiced this to the nurse when it was persistent and getting worse. I was checked and told I was at an 8. I remember asking "well is it alright if I push just a little to relieve the pain?" The nurse told me absolutely not. I was not allowed to push because that could cause serious problems since I wasn't dilated all the way yet. I continued to try and not push but it was getting so hard. It hurt so bad and I really felt like I didn't not have the control to stop my body from naturally pushing. Pete continued to encourage me and tell me I could do it. It took immense concentration during each contraction and it seemed that I failed at every other one. My body would just start pushing and I had to tighten my body to stop it--which was against the relaxation techniques I had practiced and learned about. But at some point I just said, "I do not want to do this anymore and I am tired of trying to relax because THIS HURTS!"
Pete was so encouraging and helpful during this time and when he would tell me to breath and to not push I would beg him "It isn't a matter of concentration, I really, literally CANNOT stop my body from pushing, PLEASE go get someone!!" After a few contractions of this Pete went and got the nurse. She checked me again and said I was at a "9+" and that I couldn't start pushing just yet. I remember wanting to just smack her! What is the difference between a 9+ and a 10 for heaven sake!? But I am a rather reserved person and of course didn't say a word. Just continued through another few contractions while she prepared things. Finally, they told me I could push and she talked me through how I was to do it. I had actually read a lot about what to do and her instructions were a little different, but I was not about to argue considering she said I could push and that is all I wanted to do--forget any techniques.
After a couple of pushes the doctor came in and put a monitor on Afton's head because the stomach monitors were not picking her up. I was informed that Afton's heart rate was dropping with each contraction and that it had been at about 50 for a couple of minutes (I think that is what they said). The doctor looked me straight in the eye and said really nicely "not that you aren't trying your hardest, but if you are going to get this baby out, you are going to have to give it everything you've got." That was just the motivation I needed. At some point she told me I was going to need an episiotomy and did it as soon as I nodded my head with the "OK" and at another point I heard the doctor order someone to "Get the vacuum ready." But moments later she was telling Pete to hurry and get his gloves on (because we had asked that he catch) and she said, "Catch your baby!" and then out came her full head of hair and afterword each little shoulder and the rest of her body, all of which I felt leave my body. I loved that I got to feel it all!
When Afton started crowning the doctor pointed out that she had a lot of hair to Pete. But I did not imagine that she would have THAT much hair! I was amazed and I remember thinking as they handed her to me that she was more beautiful than I ever could have imagined! As soon as Pete set her on me the nurses unwrapped the cord from Afton's neck which was wrapped twice around there. They were all suctioning her and rubbing circulation back in her but I don't even remember that. I just remember staring at her little body on my chest. I was very aware that the doctor was stitching me up since I could feel a lot of tugging, poking and pinching but none of that seemed to matter because I had this beautiful little girl in my arms!
She was weighed and checked and pronounced healthy. One of the nurses suggested that I nurse her and helped me put her in the right position. She latched on immediately and I overheard one of the nurses say later that she ate for 40 minutes although I had no recollection of the time table during this whole process.
Pete was incredible. And encouraging. I was rather occupied for most of the night with my contractions and I wasn't much company, as you can imagine. But I was so thankful he was there. Just being able to squeeze his hands and hear his voice was so comforting to me.
During the whole process I remember thinking that I knew I did not have to give birth naturally but I really wanted to. It was a constant battle in my head of how badly did I want it? Because there were moments during each contraction when I thought to myself, after this contraction maybe I should ask for some pain relief. And then the contraction would end and I would think "No, I can do this." One of the books I read in preparation said that nature was kind and throughout the birth process you are given breaks. Those breaks between contractions are literally the only thing that kept me going. But they were there. And they were kind. And thank heavens for a fast labor! Because had I had to endure a few more hours I probably would not have been able to do it.
But I am so grateful that I was able to have the birth I wanted. While it may not have been the birth I prepared for (being induced and all) I could not have asked for a more perfect scenerio.
And even more perfect was the healthy, alert and beautiful girl that we got in the end!
Annie that was beautiful!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I'm all teary. . .
ReplyDeleteWow! This is why I let your mom have all the kids!
ReplyDeleteLove you all and can't wait to meet Afton.